Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Hosta, Hosta, Everywhere, or, Thanks, Grobles





Jim and Pat Groble taught me how to split hosta and I am forever grateful. Look at how many plants I got just from splitting what I already had. Hosta is a love affair of sorts...once you have them, and they thrive, you want more, and different varieties, and you want them to fill in all the naked spots and dead spots and "why won't damn petunias grow there" spots, and just lush up the yard in ways that make even REAL gardeners jealous. I already know which ones are getting split this fall, and where their progeny are going to go. I even emailed Martina and asked her if she wants me to split hers. It's therapeutic, and so cost effective...I don't even want to know what some of my plants would cost. If you have a bald spot in your yard, have I got a plant for you.

2 comments:

Ammieloris said...

How fun! I don't think we had any garden plant that was so prolific in Idaho... perhaps rhubarb? I love seeing your lushness!

Jim Groble said...

Thanks so much. Your hosta looks great.