Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Bahamas, or, What do you read on vacation?

I read Edith Wharton, of all things, and just thought she was as good as I ever did. This volume passed the time on Coco Cay, which is Royal Caribbean's island and really a wonderful respite.


Our tablemates were an interesting group. Tammy (next to me) is an emergency room physician in Atlanta. Her husband Robert works at a college (I think Morehouse). Sandy works at a large law firm in Peachtree Center. Her husband Dick...does something. I never figured out what.
We went to the Kennedy Space Center. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/home/index.html The Astronaut's Memorial is incredible. It's a launch pad with a black granite face (to represent space). Everyone who has been lost has his or her name engraved, and at night it's illuminated. Thank you for your sacrifice.


This is Launch Pad 39B. The Challenger launched from this pad on January 28, 1986.

This is the face of the Visitor Center, which faces the "Rocket Garden." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Garden

This was a dessert demonstration I observed. They designed fruit as well as vegetables. Afterwards we got samples. I snagged some chocolate covered strawberries.


Some clown wanted to be a smarty pants and left this in the window of their cabin, which looked onto the Promenade Deck (Deck 7). Wharton, yes. Melville, never.



My palm tree on Nassau.

Sunrise in the Bahamas, August 17, 2008.


Coco Cay, Bahamas. My view for a day.

If you can wiggle it, go, go, go on a cruise. Is it cheesy? Sort of. Will you eat too much? Oh, yes. Way. But your whole perspective will be altered, in a positive, happy place way.

No comments: