Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas, or, Santa Exploded













I did not go nuts this year for the girls for Christmas. They got a dollhouse, a double buggy, some markers and Playdoh, and a little cookset. Various other family members (my mother, Aunt Terry, Uncle KC, Grandma) got them outfits, a Little People car-ramp thing, some books (thank you Miss Mantha) and baby dolls. I stuck with what I thought would be successful. Right now the kids are in that "mimic" stage--they cook because I cook. They clean because I clean. Their play is experiential and experimental. They are learning how to control their world through activity. I gotta go with that.
Dinner was a non-event in that it was zero pressure. I made a roast with root vegetables, crab dip, little hot dogs, a pickle tray, some rolls for the kids to eat with hummus, and mashed potatoes. Dessert was mini eclairs for the girls and chocolate cream pie for us. Yes, I made eggnog and it was good.
The girls all wore play dresses today although Ellie preferred not to wear pants and Helen flat out refused. She is on a pants strike. Emma of course wore pants and sparkly shoes all day. Gotta be ready to meet her public.
Emma actually provided two highlights for me today. This morning, when she came downstairs and saw the double buggy, she walked over to it, looked into the tree and said "Thank you, Santa." (I got it on video). The second was when Samantha brought her kids to visit Emma took Asher's hand and said, "Come on, baby. You want to play dollhouse?" Later she went in time out for both throwing and sassing, but that doesn't diminish her otherwise excellent day.
I just wanted to stay home and love my family. What a perfect day.


No comments: