Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ho Ho Cake, or, It's Not So Bad Not Eating Ice Cream

So my Lenten deal of no coffee and no ice cream is going ok. Coffee is still very hard, especially in the mornings, and decaf tea just doesn't give me the kind of kick I'm usually looking for. The girls have taken to playing "coffee" with their little wooden coffee maker and I am the first one they come looking for when they have just poured a fresh "cuppa cuppa." How sweet.

I'm not really missing ice cream, however. I have somehow turned my off-ice-cream 40 days into an exploration of other desserts that are equally nice, if not more so. Case in point: cream puffs from Presti's and this giant Ho Ho cake at Grobles'. Presti's cream puffs might as well be heaven sent, and this Ho Ho cake is so decadent, so rich.

I don't feel bad about the caloric intake of these items, because they are few and far between. I'm not going to Presti's on even a weekly basis, much to my own and the girls' chagrin. And the Ho Ho cake was a nice treat. Nice, indeed. I could have wrestled Bill for the last of it tonight, but Lent is, after all, about restraint.

No comments: