Monday, April 20, 2009

West Side Wonderland, or, Why Does This Place Even Get a Zip Code?








So my old friend from HN, Jeanette Fiedler Habyl Botsch, had a thing at her place on Sunday and I went. We hadn't talked in about 15 years but that's what happens in the world of Facebook....people find each other. Jeanette and I were tight for three years. She let me drive her car, we were in band together (yes, even band camp), sleepovers, you name it. Lots of stories there. Well, on the way to her place on the 1-4-8 in West Park I took the long way and drove down Lorain Ave. I stopped at Fridrich's to see how much a senior bike would cost me ($400) (in full disclosure, I was also tight with Keith Fridrich of the aforementioned, but he lives in Vegas now), the Kmart at 150th to buy garbage bags, in Jeanette's house, where I met that unusual animal, and finally to her door, where she looked as good as ever. Not a wrinkle.
The west side, at least off Lorain, is terrible. Terrible. Rarely have I seen places as run down and decrepit, and people, I lived in Camden NJ for two years. Jeanette is on 148th temporarily until she buys her ex-husbnd out of his share of their 3000 sq. ft. hosue in North Ridgeville. It's a good thing. I don't like the idea of having to go into Lorain County to see her, but my Lord. If I don't see that area of the city again in my life, I don't think I will suffer much.

No comments: