Saturday, April 11, 2009

Survived, or, Gentlemen, Start Your Coffeepots

So it's been 39 days without coffee or ice cream. Upshot: lost 12 pounds, cleaned out my caffeine-addled liver, didn't have to pee 14 times before 10 am. Downside: even I admit I was cranky for a few days, but it didn't affect me physiologically in other ways--no shakes, which many people said I would have. I didn't crave other caffeineated items--I didn't start swigging Coke, for example. I pretty much switched to decaf hot tea in the morning and water the rest of the day and I was good.

Did I learn anything spiritually? I have to admit, no.

Do I feel like I'm a better person? Again, no.

Do I feel like I wasted my time? No. It was a good test of mettle, anyway. Labor was way, way harder.

Would I do it again? Lent is like taxes...every year you have to deal with it.

Plan for the morning? that coffee is going on at 7 am, rain or shine. Stop by and have a cup with me.