Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Irony Tag Sold Here.


I was at the grocery store today, post-library hour with just OC, and when I got into line to check out, I ended up behind a very fit looking woman who was purchasing far more healthy looking items than me--organic butter lettuce, soy milk, nonfat yogurt, breast meat chicken, a ton of produce (again, most of it organic), free trade coffee, and skim milk. She was wearing a workout outfit of some sort, kind of running/yogaish, and tennis shoes. Feeling chubby by comparison, I bent down into my cart to start unloading my Pierre's ice cream, my Bertolli pre-made pasta, and when I looked up again the woman seemed to have disappeared. Even the checker was confused--"Are these your items as well?" I said, "There was someone here, but I don't know where she went."

"Oh," called a raspy voice to my cashier from the Customer Service line. "I just came over here to buy my cigarettes first so I wouldn't bother you with it."

I smacked down my full-fat American cheese down hard on the counter and silently, smilingly waited my turn.

No comments: