Saturday, May 17, 2008

Crap, Crap, What is this Crap? Or, Nuts




I ordered some storage baskets (is there any other kind) from Pottery Barn Kids and here's what I had to contend with when I opened the box. Let me just say that I loathe packing peanuts. I don't despise Fisher-Price's so much, because they are made of spun corn starch and melt away in the sink when you run warm water on them (I kid you not). Bonus: children don't die if they eat them, they just have popcorn breath for a few hours. But these were bona fide styrofoam, and I just take umbrage at that. They are staticy, they are a disaster to try and clean up, The People's Republic of Cleveland Heights doesn't recycle them, and Helen would give her eyetooth to eat one. You see my dilemma (and Pudge's left arm trying to get at them).
I called PBK and essentially said, Chuck Williams has enough resources that he doesn't need to use these. He can get the corn starch kind. The rep responded, well, hardware stores take these back, and so will UPS. As if that was an answer.
I am not schlepping to Dunn Hardware with this stuff! I can't take three kids into a UPS store! There is no excuse for not using the meltable kind. Their crush resistance is the same and, oh by the way, THEY MELT.
Demand more from your vendors. Call and complain about packing peanuts. There is an alternative. They should use it.

1 comment:

Ammieloris said...

How frustrating! I find inconveniences like these are prime reasons to stop shopping with such companies. Money talks, but it certainly helps to follow it up with the sort of explanation you suggest.