Sunday, October 5, 2008

Karma is, as they say, a B.

Like most people, I have a few "where were you/what were you doing" events in my life.

1. John Lennon being shot. It was a breaking story on the news. I think John Chancellor may have been the reporter. My grandparents were over for dinner. My grandmother lit a cigarette and said, "Well, what do you expect? All those kids are on dope."

2. The Challenger explosion. I was in high school algebra. I think we might have gone to Mass. I know we watched it on the news and I remember thinking, that thing just BLEW UP. You have to remember that in my lifetime NASA had not had a major catastrophe. I wasn't born at the time of The Fire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_1_fire So I was not used to things not going well for our space program. It was very upsetting for my mother, because she was very excited and proud of Christa McAuliffe.

3. 9/11, which I still can't talk about, really.

4. The OJ verdict. I was in my last year of graduate school and had just signed up to take the LSAT. I sat in my apartment and cried, cried, cried. I just thought, that's it. This pig of a person is going to walk around for the rest of his life knowing that he gave the finger to just about everybody. He butchered two people and he flirted his way through the trial and the jurors were too dazzled by his Heisman and his smile to see the truth.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/04/oj.simpson.verdict/index.html

I guess OJ can interview all the guys he'll be locked up with and see if they have any insight into who the real killer is.

No comments: