Tuesday, February 24, 2009

40 days and counting, or, Coffee, I hardly knew ye

I haven't done anything for Lent in a couple of years. Two years I was pregnant and did not feel it was in my best interest to restrict my diet. I am just sort of in limbo with Church requirements because I'm not sure anymore whose interests they are serving. But this year, I decided to give up both coffee and ice cream for the entire 40 days.

Here's the thing with ice cream--it just tastes good. I like it.

But coffee.

I love. Love. Love coffee. I have had at least one cup every day (except when I was pregnant) for the last 20 years. I cannot tell you how much I anticipate that pot filling up every morning with hot, glorious brew. And it's not just coffee. It's the cream, the opaque beauty of it dropping into the cup plip plop, and the sugar. Well, Splenda. Which is just Splendid (damn marketroids).

It's a zillion calories a day I don't need. Let's not talk about the caffeine. Because I need to be MORE jazzed up, right?

My blood pressure is too high and I would like to be 20 pounds less by the first family wedding of the year, which is July 19.

And I have my 20th HS reunion this year. Don't even get me started on what that will cost me in dermatology and dental bills.

So I am giving up two things I love as a sacrifice for Lent, but ultimately the sacrifice benefits me. Does it count? I don't know if I can have the theological argument about it and win. But at least I might be off Sular by June.

No comments: